25 March 2013

5th Birthday Party. Part 2 - Party Food

After the fun of sorting out the decorations was just about done I had a slight panic attack when I realised that the only party food I had planned was the adorable Marshmallow Mushrooms.
It was the week before and undoubtedly I would have a whole lot of baking and preparation ahead of me, knowing me and how I always tend to put that little bit much more pressure on myself than is entirely necessary.

The children were beaming after seeing the Party table, exactly the reaction I wanted
So it was time to focus on the party food, Fairy, Enchanted Forest inspired party food.

Here is the menu I came up with.

Butterfly Sandwiches
Chicken sandwiches cut out with a Butterfly shaped cookie cutter

Hubby and my dad were very helpful cutting out and assembling
these an hour or so before our little guests arrived
Gnome made Mini Quiche
 Self explanatory really except Gnomes didn't make them and neither did I
Enchanted Tree Trunks
Mini sausage rolls
Fairy Fruit Salad
Yummy brightly coloured healthy fruit salad

Fruit salad is just so pretty in these polka dot cups
Fairy Wands
Wafer sticks dipped in chocolate and coated in silver petit dragees
Little Fairy Wands and a Wicker garden pot plate nursing a
big jar of Pink Smarties, a necessity for the Birthday girl
Twigs
Pretzel sticks
Lollipop Trees
Green and white lollipops planted in little pots of sugar

Lollipop Topiary Trees

Pink Smarties
My daughter LOVES Smarties, they're her favourite sweet
Mushrooms WOW
Marshmallows dipped in red coloured white chocolate on top of another marshmallow
The adorable Marshmallow Mushrooms that inspired the Theme
Birds Nests WOW
Chocolate spiders shaped into a nest and topped with candy coated eggs

Birds Nests and Twigs All the food was presented on pink, green or wooden dishes
Acorns WOW
Cake balls dipped in chocolate coated in sprinkles and topped with half a pretzel stick

Acorn Cake balls Aren't they adorable as well
Mushroom Birthday Cake WOW

I still need a bit more practice using Fondant but yes
the Mushroom is meant to be tilting slightly ha ha 
I'd love to be able to claim that the WOW foods came straight from my creative little mind but they didn't. I can't exactly tell you who came up with these little gems as once you start looking you will find variations of each.

I'm definitely one of those mothers who believes that you should make your children's childhood magic, encourage creativity and imagination.
I wanted our little to guests to walk in and have a feast for their eyes as well as their tummies and the WOW reaction is exactly what I got. Their eyes lit up and their smiles went from ear to ear.

One very happy Birthday Girl
Even if the party games ended up in tears and tantrums I was content with the initial reaction I got when they saw the party table. 


Thankfully the Party games went off without a hitch.

The Games
1.  On arrival the children coloured in their own Gnome, until all the guests arrived.
2.  They played Stick the Gnome in his Home. Like Pin the tail on the Donkey, except they used the Gnome they coloured in and they had to put him in the doorway of his Mushroom House.
3.  They Decorated Wands to take home.
4.  Played Musical Mushrooms. I had printed out large Mushrooms, they danced around these then had to stand on them when the music stopped.

One of the little boys came dressed as a Fox so instead of What's the time Mr Wolf? they took it upon themselves to play What's the time Mr Fox?

It was delight to see their little imaginations at work.

All in all I can say that all the hard work and effort payed off and the day was a complete success.



My hope is that I managed to inspire someone to bring a little more magic into their child's life.


Love Jade xx 






28 comments:

  1. Yum! All this party food looks so tasty. I bet everyone had this wonderful time in this bash. My son’s 10th birthday was in last week and we hosted X-Men themed bash for him. It was organized at one of the best NYC venues and we all had great time.

    ReplyDelete